[pct-l] Camera

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Sun Nov 21 18:04:43 CST 2010

Radar's suggestions are excellent.  However, I used a Canon Powershot SD400 on both the AT and PCT (same camera) and was pleased.  It uses a rechargeable battery (roughly 1" square), very light weight.  I carried 3 or 4 so I always had one ready.  The charger is also light and compact, but I sent it along in a bounce box.

RE: sending your memory cards home:  Be sure to use a reinforced or bubble envelope, not an ordinary letter envelope.  I lost a memory card in a standard letter envelope last year, along with all my photos from Warner Springs to Big Bear, including Kickoff.  Spend the extra 35 cents, or whatever.

Good luck,

Mango

On Nov 20, 2010, at 11:37 PM, Ethan Smith wrote:

> I would love to get some advice about buying a camera for my 2011 thru-hike. I am looking for one that is light-weight, durable, $150 range, takes good (doesn't have to be excellent) pictures, and is easy to use.
> Also, what have you done about memory cards?

Radar says...

 - select a camera that uses standard batteries
   rather than a custom battery that needs to be
   recharged in town
 - use multiple memory cards rather than one
   huge card
 - rotate cards via mail to a trusted
   person at home who can back them up and send
   the card back a resupply point
 - Don't put all your pictures on one
   memory card!  If you have problems with the
   card you'll lose all your pictures.