[pct-l] Hiking and the real world

Blanchard, Sym (GT&D) SWB3 at pge.com
Mon Oct 18 19:39:12 CDT 2010

If you have a computer-type job, you could hike the PCT and work at a
full-time job at the same time.

Carhop was doing it this year on the PCT and had already completed the
AT the same way.  He has two SUV's, fully loaded with laptops, air
cards, beds, and food.  He would park one at one trailhead and then
drive to the next trail head (where he could get cell phone coverage),
work 8 hours, and then hike back to his other vehicle.  He normally
slept about 6 hours a night and hiked 25-30 miles a day (a bit of it at
night).

Just amazing!  He is an actuarian (retired math lecturer from Cornell)
who works on a project team designing pension plans on the east coast.
He was over 60 years old.  His wife said that as long as the checks kept
coming in and he was happy, he could hike as long as he wanted.   I met
up with him about 12 times on the trail this year (from Devil's
Punchbowl to Pamela Lake).  I did not hear if he finished, but I imagine
he did.

He inspired me to bounce my laptop to General Deliveries on my zero days
so that I could work a few days mid-week and physically recover at the
same time (I do computer database/financial work for a public utility).
That way I am able to stretch my section hike by capturing more
week-ends and not use up all of my vacation.  I got two paid work days
at a motel in Sisters.  Unfortunately, I fell and broke my ankle and
shoulder near Pamela Lake so had to curtail my hike for the year (Carhop
found me laying on the trail and helped get me out).

Symbiosis