[pct-l] Giardia

herbstroh at charter.net herbstroh at charter.net
Mon Oct 25 15:49:53 CDT 2010

I don't think the question below ever got answered.

Aqua Mira and Micropur work roughly the same way and at the same speed, the
difference is in the delivery and the marketing. There are some differences
depending upon what nasties you are looking at, but for the end user I
don't think it makes much difference.

Sometimes people say they prefer Aqua Mira to Micropur because they like
the 30 minutes of AM versus 4 hour wait of Micro. In reality, they both
work pretty much the same they are just marketing their products
differently. If you look at the Aqua Mira site they do not represent that
their chemical treatments work for Guardia--when they talk about Guardia
they reference use of their filters. Katadyn Micropur's site does tout its
ability to deal with Guardia, but says its a 4 hour wait. If they both work
the same then what gives?

Exposure time of chemical treatments depends on the temperature and
turbidity of the water. Colder and cloudier takes longer exposure to work.
That creates a field variable that is difficult to quantify. As a result,
the EPA requires that the seller must state the water is "safe" only after
4 hours exposure IF they want to claim their product protects from Guardia
and its friends. Katadyn has chosen that course, hence it posts the four
hour wait period. Aqua Mira has decided to advertise a 30 minute wait and
NOT represent its' effective against Guardia, presumably hoping the user
might not notice the omission.

In most instances the water will be safe against Guardia in 30 minutes
regardless which product you use. The longer you wait, the better. Me? I
drop in the Micropur tablets in and wait at least 30. If I can postpone
getting into that water longer I do, but if not I drink it.

Its been awhile since I tracked this info down, but I can try and find the
links if someone really wants it.

Herb