[pct-l] smartphone as two-way, also?

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Oct 25 18:29:46 CDT 2010

My "smartphone" is not so smart. It turns itself on inside my pack and
drains the battery unless I pull the battery at the trailhead. It even
unlocks itself and makes calls to who knows where, all by itself! Pain in
the arse, really.

So, now that phones are becoming so "smart," with GPS as you're saying, do
we, now, have a lighter pack because we no longer need to carry our phones
and GPS units (by investing in these "smartphones")? Such a deal! Or is it
still better to carry both?

Can a smartphone also communicate two-way if there are no towers around? The
Garmin we used this Spring, the Rino 530HCx, had a wonderful two-way radio
that kept us all connected through the woods on the snow so we could help
each other find the way. Are the phones able to do this yet?

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150