[pct-l] Southern PCT in January

Eugene Leafty atetuna at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 26 04:04:15 CDT 2010

I'll second what Brick said.  You don't need any snow tools south of Hwy 74.
Even with snow you could probably make it to Fobes Saddle.  Whatever snow
falls is mostly gone in a couple days, but the trail layout is forgiving
enough that you shouldn't have any trouble at all even if the snow stuck
around for a while.  Even though you guys may have stoves, you may be
interested in knowing that the drinking fountain at the visitors center at
Mount Laguna is heated and works all year.  Water may still be a problem
from Sunrise Trailhead to 3rd Gate...or even to Barrel Spring.  I'd advise
checking the water cache and water report.  Also, as Brick said, it does get
cool and windy.  I'm not sure how cold, but I experienced low 20's south of
Lake Morena last February.