[pct-l] Maps

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Thu Oct 28 14:03:18 CDT 2010

Bring topo maps and know how to read them! Take a course somewhere, if you
have to, but know where you're going daily.

Studying your route the night before, knowing the directions of the canyons,
the creeks, and the shapes of the meadows and lakes is priceless for all
those quick judgments you have to make regarding which direction to go and
"where am I and which way do I go now?" we have to make every day. Don't
expect or rely on directional signs at every junction. I know the PCT is
becoming more of a "freeway" than it used to be and there are a lot more
aids for today's hiker to help with planning and execution of the hike, but
every year there will be places where the trail will be poorly marked. Carry
topo maps of the trail and surroundings, so you know which way to go and
which way leads out to safety.

What you put in your head you will not lose because the "batteries died."
GPS units are really helpful, but to rely on them for 100% of your
navigation when you must be aware that electronics can fail due to cold or a
switch left on is asking for trouble.

Again, this is not the area to short-change. Make your pack as light and
small as you can, but carry maps and know how to read them for the entire
route.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education