[pct-l] Choices and Completion Rates

Bob Sartini r.sartini at rcn.com
Thu Sep 2 17:04:47 CDT 2010

 Prior to my PCT thru hike my reading of this list made me think the trip
was a scary high risk adventure. It is nothing of the kind. Novices and
experts  are always getting in trouble from miscalculations but in hiking
season the PCT is a safe easy trail with only a few places that can be
thought of as "challenging" in good weather. But just barely. Any
experienced back packer should have no problems. It is a trail crowded with
other hikers to lend a hand especially in the High Sierras and the desert. A
pack weight that suits you is all that is required. If you want to carry an
ice axe do so. A bear canister is required sometimes although pointless
because you can't fit all your food in it. The maps were reassuring from
time to time but not in any way a requirement.  The PCT is a wonderful trip,
people should just enjoy it. It is not really any kind of isolated
wilderness. One hiker told me he never went an entire day without hearing a
motor.

The completion rate is more like 50% and the failures are because people run
out of money and time. (They underestimate the need for both and spend to
many "zero" days in town.) My take is that injury is a small portion of
people who quit. In fact many of the injured (usually shin splints and the
like, hole up somewhere until they heal and then get back on the trail.

"EVERYTHING is in walking distance,"
    ......Bamboo Bob