[pct-l] Choices and Completion Rates

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Sep 2 18:31:47 CDT 2010

On Sep 2, 2010, at 3:29 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Another question I have is, of those who hiked the trail border to
> border
> pre-1980's, was there a greater completion rate or the same? There
> were
> fewer of them, but did a greater percentage finish each year, say
> in the
> '70s? If so, why?

How many of those people in the 70s had exactly the same or even less
gear items than many of us with lightweight packs do now. Just
because your pack is light does not mean it contains fewer items, or
poor-quality items. New fabrics, higher quality down, lighter
performance clothing, simpler stoves, practicing multiple use,
reducing the quantity of consumables carried like toothpaste etc. all
make going lighter possible without reducing safety or comfort. In
many ways I have found going light to improve my safety because I
have honed my ingenuity and can solve problems without having to have
a specific gear item in my pack to do it. Plus now I carry all the
items I need plus a few what-if things when before when my stuff was
heavy I would leave home the rain gear or the tent to save weight.

>  Prior to my PCT thru hike my reading of this list made me think
> the trip
> was a scary high risk adventure. It is nothing of the kind. Novices
> and
> experts  are always getting in trouble from miscalculations but in
> hiking
> season the PCT is a safe easy trail with only a few places that can be
> thought of as "challenging" in good weather.

I agree with Bamboo Bob here.