[pct-l] Choices and Completion Rates

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Thu Sep 2 21:04:12 CDT 2010

And what would you characterize as similar to hiking for five
consecutive months?

The AT.  I met several thru's on the PCT that had already done the AT, myself included.

I think 30 % is a pretty high completion rate, and I doubt it will ever get much higher.  I know of several people this year who did not finish due to time (jobs or school) or money.  Most of them were strong of mind and body but had to get off due to circumstances beyond their control.

We should also separate injuries into 2 categories - those caused by poor equipment or training or judgement, e.g. blisters, shin splints, and those caused by bad luck - sprains, knee damage, concussions or broken ribs from falls, etc.  I wanted to finish but couldn't due to knee injury at Sonora, just when I was about to send home a bunch of gear and lighten up the pack.  Luck played a big part in completing the AT, as it does on the PCT and CDT.

Mango