[pct-l] Boots?

Cosmic Cat cosmic.cat144 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 18:05:38 CDT 2010

I second the toe socks. I tried them out on a single-day 44 mile hike and
zero blisters resulted. You might need a slightly wider toebox though.

I would also caution against waterproof - breathable footwear. Ventalation
is way more important than waterproofing on the pct.

Goodness

On Sep 15, 2010 3:44 PM, <5418610024 at vzw.blackberry.net> wrote:
> Dan - I too used to get blisters on the balls of my feet and between my
toes. Toe socks solved the between the toes blisters and going barefoot as
much as possible for almost a year solved the balls of the foot blisters.
This last year I wore Moab Ventilator shoes that I bought online at Zappos.
I bought a size larger than what I normally wear and the only two blister I
got were the outside edged of both big toes.

> I really think going barefoot or wearing Vibram Five Fingers made the most
difference for me. I'm female, and at the time I was hiking weighed 160#. My
pack was in the neighborhood of 30# including water and food.

> Hope this helps.
>
> Lost and Found

preparations I have attempted to hike the Colorado Trail (twice -2008 &
2010). I tried trail running shoes (Invo 8) in 2008 and light hiking shoes
with mold able inserts (Montrail AT) in 2010. I thought I had the blister
and swelling of feet licked after my first attempt but unfortunately the
blisters and swelling were worse the second time (recovering as I write
this)! I am feeling a little stressed as I do not have a lot of
opportunities to try out different foot wear living in Iowa. I do not have
problems hiking 10 miles/day but once I hit 15-20+ miles/day problems start.
My pack weight shouldn't be an issue at 12 lbs base weight with a max weight
of 26 lbs. I considered a custom fitted boot with more sole support as I
tend to develop blisters on the pads of my feet but there is an 18 month
wait for Limmer boots. My question is are there other boots out there that
others have tried that worked or other
> remedies to prevent or prolong the development of blisters/swelling feet?
I have a short but wide foot and I weight 150 lbs.