[pct-l] Bicycle Usage Proposal

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Sep 18 12:41:56 CDT 2010

The mountain bike problem is huge in Santa Barbara. We are cursed
with 3000 foot mountains that have a road along the crest and trails
that drop down into the city. Individuals and private companies
shuttle mountain bikers to the top of the mountains and drop them
off. Many of them have downhill bikes that resemble motorcycles with
the engine removed. They bomb down the trail at tremendous speed
wearing full face motorcycle helmets and body armor. Here are some
pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/69529140@N00/124881487/
http://www.ihatebikes.net/site/blog/tunnel-trail-santa-barbara-
california/
http://www.leelikesbikes.com/wp-content/110602TunnelJimSection.jpg

Parts of the PCT have easy access like our trails in Santa Barbara. I
would not wish this on the PCT.

A couple of years ago a mountain biker father and son came roaring
around a corner and frightened a lady with her 5-year-old daughter
riding a horse. The horse jumped off the side of the trail and fell
to its death 50 feet below. The mother and daughter jumped off the
horse in time to avoid also plunging 50 feet. The mountain bikers
fled the scene. Bicycles are dangerous on narrow trails with foot and
horse traffic. They do not belong there.

For the past couple of years the mountain bikers have been laying
low. I'm curious why in the past couple weeks we've seen an increase
of this topic on this list. It appears they've laid low for a couple
of years and have returned.

I do hope they haven't hashed out a new "Art of War" tactic. These
people do things in an incredibly deceitful manner. Someone from a
Swiss email account telling Americans their country should have fewer
regulations? My suspicions are raised, yes. They poison every place
where they get a foothold. I hope they do not ruin the PCT. I will
discontinue my PCTA membership if mountain bikers gain seats on the
board or if they weaken the protection of the PCT.

Diane