[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 33, Issue 57

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Sat Sep 18 19:24:16 CDT 2010

> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 15:59:06 -0700
> From: CHUCK CHELIN <steeleye at wildblue.net>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Gunky Tent Zipper Query
> To: Scott Herriott <yetifan at yahoo.com>
> Cc: pct-l at backcountry.net
>
> Good afternoon, Squatch,
>
> If the zipper slider won?t move well, wipe a little ChapStick on the two
> rows of coils or teeth.  If the slider moves but the teeth won?t mesh, or
> won?t stay meshed, knock it in the head and replace the whole zipper.
>
> Steel-Eye
>
> Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT ? 1965
>
> http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
>
> http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09

Beyond that - if the slider is metal, make sure the slots in the sides are
almost pinching the two halves of the zipper - if the slots on the sides are
too lose, the slider won't be able to force the coils of the two halves into
each other. Again, if the slider is metal, I've been able to use a set of
pliers to squeeze the slots down so that the zipper halves almost won't
slide through, but then does force the halves to interlace (if you squeeze
it down too far and the halves won't slip through anymore, one can use a
fine screwdrive to open them back up). If the slider is plastic - Steel-Eye
is correct: replace it yourself, or send it back to the mfg.

TheDuck