[pct-l] Bicycle Usage Proposal (actually: motorcycles in the wilderness)

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Mon Sep 20 10:06:38 CDT 2010

> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:38:03 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Edward Anderson <mendoridered at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Fw:  Bicycle Usage Proposal
> To: Ron Dye <chiefcowboy at verizon.net>
> Cc: pct-l at backcountry.net
>
> Ron,
>
> You mention that you were "just kidding" about flattening their tires.? On
> one
> occasion, back in the 1970's, I did just that.? My wife and I were
> backpacking
> to the Emigrant Wilderness hiking from a TH near Cherry Dam.? When we came
> the sign indicating that we were at the boundary of the wilderness.? This
> was a
> big sign located in the middle of the trail - the trail split around on
> both
> sides of it.. We had been following motorcycle tracks.? We could see that
> the
> motorcycle had stopped directly in front of the sign.? The rider had
> obviously
> read the sign. Part of what it said was that motorcycles and bicycles were
> not
> permitted in the Emigrant Wilderness.? The tracks then went around the
> sign.? We
> followed them for several miles until we saw where they turned off the
> trail.?
> We found the motorcycle fairly well hidden out of sight of the trail.? I
> assumed
> that the rider had gone fishing.? So, what to do?? I got out my pocket
> knife and
> simply cut off both valve stems.? I just couldn't resist doing that.?
>

> Here is another incident in my memory:? Someone had ridden their
> motorcycle over
> Piute Pass from North Lake and on into Humphrey's Basin in the John Muir
> Wilderness? A Ranger caught him and required him to remove both wheels and
> physically carry them out and deliver them to the ranger station.? The
> next day
> he had hike back up to carry out the rest of it.? That took two more
> trips.?
> This happened in the late 1950's or early 1960's.?
>
> MendoRider?

Shades of the mid-60's and the Mather ranger station (HetchHetchy) - Tommy
Tucker, station ranger there - good dude - found a fisherman down in
Poopenaut Valley with his Trail-90: smashed the sparkplug, then made him
push/carry it up out of there, then arrested him. If anyone has ever been on
that trail...  it's hard enough just trying to walk it (one of the steepest
trails I know of). That same summer he found another trail bike down there -
found tire prints at the top of the trail and followed them down. This time
it was a bigger bike, so he made the rider take the bike apart, and carry
the pieces out one at a time, then put it back together...  after whch it
was wheeled to the Mather station and chained and locked to a (large) tree,
where it could be seen rusting years later. TT was a good dude, but you
didn't want to get on his bad side.
TheDuck