[pct-l] Brushing status - stampede pass

tokencivilian at yahoo.com tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 26 22:13:14 CDT 2010

A couple of volunteers were found at the last minute to enable the previously announced brushing project near stampede pass (Washington) to occur on Saturday.  One was a recently finished thru - Sept 2nd is when he crossed into Canada.  Thanks guys for your hard work.

Thanks also go out to the PCTA and their e mail list which did the trick in finding the volunteers necessary.

Another 510' of trail was cleared to specification (150' of which had been partially done by the Wednesday PCTA volunteer crew) in the area south of stampede pass.  This raises the total on that project area to 2,600+ feet done by the forest service, PCTA volunteers and (I think) a joint group from REI and the WTA.  This is somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-25% of this specific project area, which the forest service estimated at about 10,000', but which some thru hikers report as being more than double this distance.

The WTA is scheduled to work the area this coming Tuesday to Friday.  The PCTA volunteers will be out again on Sunday the 3rd (contact me off list if you are able to help on the 3rd) and possibly the 5th or 6th.  Combined, a significant increase in the total cleared should be recorded.  While too late for the bulk of this years hikers, future years will benefit.

Further work this year beyond these dates will be weather dependent.  Weather for most of the upcoming scheduled project days should be decent (as in not pouring rain, although Tuesday is looking sketchy and is too early for a reliable forecast for the 5th).