[pct-l] Esbit Cubes

Peter Shaw pshaw999 at cox.net
Thu Apr 14 10:41:55 CDT 2011

I used this same set up in 09 and it worked really well. The only real
challenge is lighting the tablet in windy conditions. Just put a drop of
Purex hand cleanser on the tablet and it'll light easily. Also, make sure
you clear the site for the stove as it gets pretty hot in that cone and any
twigs or wood chippings will light up and could blow away when you lift up
the cone.

I didn't realize that Esbit came in a smaller tablet size. I can't see much
value in a 4 oz cube - it's just too small for anything really useful. I
suspect it's a misprint, but if it is correct, then the ebay price isn't as
good as REI. Also, there is no shipping cost with REI if you send it to a
store for pickup.

I just bought a big supply at REI. Interestingly the shelves were empty. In
fact many of the normal supplies were absent to the point I was concerned my
local REI was closing down. When I asked about the empty shelves, the
assistant told me they have had a major run on anything that might go into
emergency supply kits. This is all in response to the disaster in Japan that
has been so eye-opening to us all. I ordered the Esbits at the store and
their supply point only had about 32 boxes left. They said that the resupply
chain will catch up soon, but beware that you might find REI  (and
presumably other outdoor stores) are out of some things you might need. Be
prepared.

Peanut Eater