[pct-l] Permethrin

Ken Murray kmurray at pol.net
Sat Apr 16 13:36:04 CDT 2011

Permethrin borders on a miraculous product.

I've used it for about 5 years now.  If you don't buy the Ex-Officio pre-treated, and treat your own, it is important to SATURATE the fabric.  You cannot tell that the product is there.

EPA testing is that it is very safe, unless you do loony things (swallow, bathe).

It is applied to clothing, not to your skin.

When used in combination with DEET, it is effective in warding off bugs in the worst conditions.  However, I find that when I'm wearing Permethrin laced clothing, I need to use about 90% less DEET.  It is a real blessing when I'm doing trailwork and very sweaty, where applying DEET would be very unpleasant.

I find it lasts me a full season, without reapplication.

Don't leave home without it.