[pct-l] Sierra mileage

Brandon McGinnity bmcginnity at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 21:36:59 CDT 2011

"Relax.... this is going to be fun."

I'm freakin' out, man!

No, not really. I just don't have experience in high alpine snow, so don't
know how I'm going to handle it, thus don't know how to plan for it. I kinda
like your ideas expressed in that link. I always lean away from doing
maildrops, as I'm (obviously) not good at planning. But I figure it sounds
good to take a chill in VVR, buy enough to get to Red's Meadow into Mammoth
Lakes, then proceed. The real worry is the Tuolumne Meadows PO/store. If
that's not open yet with all the damn snow, then what? Can't mail a box to a
PO that isn't open, which sorta screws me, since I have to do all this
myself, either now or from the trail.

To Bill from VVR, I'm betting I'll be towards the middle of the pack, maybe
more to the back. Hard to say, but I know I won't be leading it. By
"stocked" I meant 2 or 4 days worth of food (depending on if I go to
Mammoth, or straight on towards Tuolumne). Figuring, of course, that 2-4
days of hiking in the Sierra requires more food than usual. By the way, it's
really cool that you're on here answering questions. I appreciate it.

The real annoying part is that I bought all this food, and am now
considering just buying as I go at VVR and Tuolumne both, where I'd
originally planned maildrops. But I don't want to waste this food. May just
send it to Crater Lake or somewhere up there... hope it doesn't mold :)

Funny... "Kennedy Meadows Day" seems to be July 1 this year. I'm gonna be
WAY early.

Oh, and yeah, I'll be at kick off. See you there.

--
~ Moccasin