[pct-l] Tarp shelters

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Aug 1 20:00:12 CDT 2011

On Aug 1, 2011, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> Not all hikers
> can/will abide the whinny little buggers:  I can because I have
> considerable
> high-frequency hearing loss ? I barely hear them ?

During the warmer months and because I hike in pants and a long-
sleeved shirt, I like to take off my clothes at the end of the day
and lie down and rest a while. I cannot abide the whiny buggers when
I'm half naked because they do a lot more than whine. And I'm not
about to trade a hot sleeping bag for long pants when it's still 90
degrees out. There have been more than a few nights where I couldn't
get into my sleeping bag until after 1AM, and even then I had to keep
a leg or arm out. Therefore, for as nice as the whole "sleeing under
the stars" idea is, it just doesn't seem to work out for me unless
it's during the time of year there are no mosquitos and no flies or
when it's cold enough in the evening to cuddle up in my sleeping bag.