[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 44, Issue 1

Ed Jarrett edjarrett at msn.com
Mon Aug 1 20:02:50 CDT 2011

> > ...  I assume that the SoCal desert  does not lend itself to hammocking.
> > But what about the rest of the trail.  Are there any places where a hammock would just not work?
>
> SoCal is NOT 'all' desert!  ;o)  The entire trail is definitely doable with a hammock (see links below)...
> If you do not want your hanging to 'dictate' your daily mileage (mostly in SoCal), be prepared to go to ground -
> I use a cut down Z-Rest (torso length) which is mostly used as a sit pad and lower leg hammock bottom insulation,
> if needed (2/3 down UQ for hammock torso+ bottom insulation), and a lightweight Tyvek groundcloth (mostly used as
> my hammock 'patio' and at trail breaks)...  My hex tarp could be set up with my trekking poles when on the ground.
I would try really hard to hang, just because the nights are sooooo much better, but if I know a stretch will not lend itself to that I would be prepared to go to ground.

> See "Roni from Israel" old pct-l post: <http://www.backcountry.net/arch/pct/0403/msg00694.html> and "guySmiley"
> thread: <http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8764> on HammockForums.net (and he answers his own
> original question at post #17: <http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=331788&postcount=17>)...
>
> Hopefully in a couple of years I will be thru-hiking the PCT - with a hammock, of course! - and will post to both
> the pct-l and HammockForums regarding using a hammock on the PCT...  ;-)
Good luck with that.  I look forward to hearing about it.  I have done the last section in Washington and it was easy to hang.  Doing the next two to the south this year if the snow melts enough.

> Happy trails!!! (& Happy hanging!!!)
> Jim (PITA)
 Ed Jarrett