[pct-l] Section P - Use a Hammock?

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Tue Aug 2 01:25:48 CDT 2011

Query from Greg/"Strider":
> Can anyone tell me if using a hammock on section P is practical?
> Enough trees at typical campsites to hang from?

YES! Granted, as always, there are some treeless, 'open', brushy or rocky slopes (which
most 'ground dwellers' wouldn't use to sleep at/on, either!) along the way...

Do some quick 'homework' with Google Earth and download Halfmile's PCT trace (found at
<http://www.pctmap.net/pctdownloads/halfmiles_pct_tracks_waypoints.kmz> and 'scout' the
PCT through the area of your interest ahead of time...  You'll see that there are enough
trees in many(!) places along the trail to easily hang a hammock in Section P.  ;-)

Have a great hike!

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)