[pct-l] Waterproof paper for maps

Mike Cunningham hikermiker at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 8 14:07:16 CST 2011

I have a supposedly waterproof zip up & rollable map holder made by a pack company  that I found by the side of a trail. The map inside it was damp. It will not hold up in a driving rain.

Generally I just use a zip loc to keep my maps in. They will get damp when you open it up to change the map which is showing, but will generally hold up sufficiently well.

I do have some maps printed on tyvek, which are great,  but they do cost more.

For a particular area with a trail network where I will be spending a considerable bit of time the expense is worth it. For a linear trail where i will be hiking on one map for less than a couple of days, i would not spend the extra.

hikermiker