[pct-l] Using Trekking Poles

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Wed Feb 2 21:18:35 CST 2011

On 2/2/2011 8:37 AM, Naps.On.Trail wrote:
> Well. This may cause re-thinking the use of poles! No need to expend
> 20 percent more calories. This would mean we'd have to carry 1/5 more
> weight in food just to maintain--simply for swinging poles. Is this
> worth it?

My knees say yes.

BTW, you don't need to swing them continually. On fairly flat trail you
can find a way to tuck them away. My pack straps have elastic loops
meant to hold water bottles. I tucked the poles under my pack strap, and
put the handles in one of the loops. Collapse them or not, depending on
how long you intend to keep them tucked away. I could easily tuck or
untuck without breaking pace.