[pct-l] Using Trekking Poles

Jim Bravo jimbravo2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 21:40:45 CST 2011

 On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Naps.On.Trail <Naps.On.Trail at gmail.com>wrote:

> In Health.com an article on *51 Ways to Increase Burning Fat* includes
> this:
>
> Well. This may cause re-thinking the use of poles! No need to expend 20
> percent more calories. This would mean we'd have to carry 1/5 more weight
> in
> food just to maintain--simply for swinging poles. Is this worth it?

Nap:

To quote someone whose name escapes me at the moment "I feel strongly both
ways".

I use one pole. My tent uses it for support, and one pole comes in handy for
stream crossings, climbing over downed trees, keeping my balance
when negotiating steep rock gardens, swinging at imaginary attack dogs and
other invisible enemies, etc. Very valuable. I often keep it on my hip (thru
the pack strap and rear loop) until needed. Using one pole also frees my
other hand for a multitude of other tasks, including relaxing, eating and
drinking, hand signals including but not limited to waving, and putting a
thumb under my pack strap. Anyway, it works for me. Do what works for you.

Jim