[pct-l] Using Trekking Poles

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 00:20:27 CST 2011

Dear Naps

I got several papers on the Nordic Walking from PubMed.I will show you
some citations.

Energy expenditure( 21% in level walking, may be you are correct )
Physiological and perceptual responses to Nordic walking in obese
middle-aged women in comparison with the normal walk.
Figard-Fabre H, Fabre N, Leonardi A, Schena F.
Eur J Appl Physiol. 2010 Apr;108(6):1141-51. Epub 2009 Dec 20.
--- Percentages of EC enhancement when using NW(Nordic Walking) poles
compared to W(Walking) were 55 ± 37, 21 ± 15 and 10 ± 8% for downhill,
horizontal level and uphill, respectively.
---( NW )  decrease the RPE( rating of perceived exertion ) when using
NW poles.

Pole weights (not important !)
Mechanical and physiological effects of varying pole weights during
Nordic walking compared to walking.
Schiffer T, Knicker A, Montanarella M, Strüder HK.
Eur J Appl Physiol. 2010 Nov 28.
 ---without poles (W), with normal NW poles (NW) or with added masses
of 0.5 kg (NW + 0.5) 1.0 kg (NW + 1.0) or 1.5 kg (NW + 1.5)
---The increased energy expenditure during NW can be attributed to
intensified muscle activation during forward swing of the poles.
Heavier poles have no effect on energy expenditure compared to NW with
usual poles but enhance muscular activity. Since there are no benefits
concerning physiological and biomechanical parameters we do not
recommend the use of heavier NW poles.

Effect of hiking pole( They tested three backpack conditions (no pack,
day pack (15% BW), and large expedition pack (30% BW). )
Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2007 Jan;39(1):177-83.
Effects of hiking downhill using trekking poles while carrying external loads.
Bohne M, Abendroth-Smith J.
---A significant reduction was observed for the sagittal plane moment
at each of the joints in the lower extremity with pole use. Reductions
were also observed in the peak power absorption for the ankle and
knee. These results held true across pack conditions, as packs only
resulted in a larger power generation at the hip.

If you omit trekking poles, your joints will suffer more impact.

--
Sincerely
Hiro    ( Yoshihiro Murakami )