[pct-l] Mountain Education-Basic Snow Skills Class.

dougearly at aol.com dougearly at aol.com
Tue Feb 8 23:18:29 CST 2011

Wow- what a wonderful weekend we just had at Ned and Julee's basic snow skill class.

The course was exactly as described at www.mountaineducation.org I would strongly recommend any thru hiker, day hiker and or person doing any hiking in the snow to attend Ned's three day class on snow skills. It is not a easy class as the climbing at the altitude can get exhausting, but if you are already in decent shape you should be able to keep up.

If you have any second thoughts about hiking in snow, being able to navigate the trail though snow, camping on snow, knowing how to traverse slopes, decend slopes, using a ice axe, knowing how to self arrest and or anything to do with backcountry hiking in snow this class is for YOU.

Why not have the security and peace of mind to know what to do when you hit the Sierras this summer to be able to make the right snow decisions? Ned has put this course in a three day weekend very obtainable for anyone to attend. I have done some backcountry snow shoeing trips this year and not had the security needed to keep going. After this class I feel that I have the awareness and my "systems" tested to be out for extended times on the snow.

Before your thru hike this year, try to attend this class. It is well worth your investment of time and money to feel the comfort and security to make the correct decision on SNOW...

How do others feel about this class that have already taken it?

trackz man
Sisters, OR