[pct-l] Fw: Re: Non-Cooked Food - Share Your Recipes!

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Feb 9 17:40:30 CST 2011

Some other ideas for no-cook food. I did a buy-as-you-go plan as much
as possible. I ended up with some interesting things, such as the
following:

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. The bread held up well. I put the
jelly in a plastic peanut butter jar and the peanut butter in a
plastic bag.

Crusty french bread or baguettes with good cheese and infused olive
oil is delicious on the trail. And certain kinds of italian hams and
sausages and specialty things that come in jars, like roasted red
peppers or olives keep well and make for a gourmet sandwich. You can
put anything in a jar in a plastic tub or bag instead.

Sandwiches from Subway or a deli will last a day or two depending on
the weather. So will pizza.

Individually wrapped breakfast pastries, such as "raisin snails",
"cheese danish" and "bear claws". These are terrible without coffee--
total sugar rush, but I ate them anyway. Maybe I'll try with peanut
butter on top next time.

Frozen burritos and breakfast burritos. These keep pretty well. Heavy
but delicious. I'll bet other frozen items would work out well,
perhaps hot pockets or something like that.

Stehekin Bakery goodies. Sadly these are extremely heavy and some
items don't taste as good when day old. So a day's worth works out well.

Anything that requires cold water to prepare will work. Pudding is
one thing. Muscle milk or other similar drinks are good. I wonder if
there are any other foods that require just adding COLD water.
There's plenty of cold water past Kennedy Meadows.