[pct-l] Insulation layer

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Fri Feb 11 09:14:45 CST 2011

Axel,

Here's another option - carry additional base layers and a windshirt instead of a down jacket, which would have very limited use.  Last year I carried a set of silks, a smartwool top and Cap 2 bottoms, my standard long-sleeve hiking shirt and convertible hiking pants, a windshirt, and silnylon rain pants and parka.

At KM I sent myself a heavy snow jacket with heavy fleece liner and hardly used it.  I did put on the liner once, but I could have gotten by okay without it.

When you're hiking you rarely need anything besides the hiking shirt and pants - maybe silks and rain gear.  You can start out in the windshirt, but you'll warm up within 30 minutes and take it off.  When you stop, put the windshirt back on.  In camp, put everything on until you're finished setting up, eating, cleaning up, etc.  Then get in the bag.

With really warm outer wear, you'd be carrying extra weight for use only for short duration at the very beginning and end of the day.

Mango