[pct-l] Bring Guidebooks or Maps?

Brendan Beltz brendanbeltz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 00:22:18 CST 2011

I love hearing about the intersections of poetry and people's personal
interactions with the now almost peripheral outdoors. May I share two in
particular which helped restore my sanity over the last year (and, on
recital, would actually lower my blood pressure at moments of great
aggravation), and fixed my attentions on this venture beginning so very
soon. The first is Neruda, the second an Inuit traditional.

PASTORAL

I go copying mountains and rivers and clouds:
I shake out my fountain pen, remark
on a bird flying upward
or a spider alive in his workshop of floss,
with no thought in my head; I am air,
I am limitless air where the wheat tosses,
and am moved by an impulse to fly, the uncertain
direction of leaves, the round
eye of the motionless fish in the cove,
statues that soar through the clouds,
the rain's multiplications.

I see only a summer's
transparency, I sing nothing but wind,
while history creaks on its carnival floats
hoarding medals and shrouds
and passes me by, and I stand by myself
in the spring, knowing nothing but rivers.

*Shepherd-boy, shepherd-boy, don't you know
that they wait for you?*

I know and I know it: but here by the water
in the crackle and flare of cicadas,
I must wait for myself, as they wait for me there:
I also would see myself coming
and know in the end how it feels to me
when I come to the place where I wait for my coming
and turn back to my sleep and die laughing.

--Pablo Neruda

I think over again my small adventures,
My fears, those small ones that seemed so big,
For all the vital things I had to get and to reach,
And yet there is only one great thing
The only thing
To live to see the great day that dawns
And the light that fills the world.