[pct-l] First required place for bear canister

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 17:37:23 CST 2011

Bears are hunted in CA. - just not in the National Parks.
I believe the National Parks are attempting to maintain an environment where
man only visits and takes nothing (except photographs and memories).

Hunting generally goes against that philosophy. Bear are generally only a
problem in the National Parks and where they interact with humans for food.
 The ones that interact with humans for food outside of the national parks
are typically easy marks for hunters and don't live very long after starting
this behavior.  I forgot what town it was but I was talking to some locals
and asked if they ever had bear problems with their trash.  A woman said a
few years back they had a bear that come around often raiding dumpsters
looking for food but as soon as hunting season started it was shot within a
day or so.  The local hunters knew where it was going to show up and just
waited for it.

See attached link,  about 1900 bears are killed by hunter in Ca.  every
year.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/bear/docs/2009BearTakeReport.pdf

Day-Late