[pct-l] Debating about boots...How many?

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 17:50:58 CST 2011

Dear Crystal

Coincidentally, I love Asolo boots. They are very strong and very light.

Last summer, I used ASOLO Expert GV GTX Mountaineering Boots (size 11
) for JMT. The sole of these  boots are very hard and worn very
slightly, although I carried 20-28Kg load. I have no experience of
longer sections than JMT, but I think if you use ASOLO boots, you
might need only one or two pairs in PCT.

Size 11 is too small for me, I cannot use soft insole last summer, so
I have just ordered new ASOLO boots (size 12) for this summer to the
cheep store ( http://bit.ly/fVvWW4 ) .
I cannot buy boots in Japan, because my foot are very large as a
Japanese ( my size is 12 ).

On the foot wear size, there is a research of long distance hikers of
AT (Roland Mueser, Long-distance hiking, Ragged Mountain Press), 30
percent of men finished the hike with over half a size, and Some 80
percent reported the increase between a half and one full size.  I
think these enlargement might be a normal change. If you trained
yourself enough, you will not experience the enlargement of foot. So,
you need not hurry to buy. As Diana said, you can order on the trail.

Most important thing to consider is blister and joint pain.( Am J Med.
2003 Mar;114(4):288-93.Medical risks of wilderness hiking.---They
investigated the 280 AT backpacker, and found that the reasons of
ending a hike were injury, time limitation, and psychosocial
reason.The most common medical complaints were feet blisters (64%; n =
180), diarrhea (56%, n = 156), skin irritation (51%, n = 143), and
acute joint pain (36%, n = 102).) The structure of boots seems to
prevent slippery of foots in the boots. It might be a good point, but
it also prevent the exchange of heat and moisture.

On the footwear weight, I had posted several scientific articles. if
you hike at 4-5 km/hour, you need not to be nervous about footwear
weight. Of course, the lighter is the better. but the lighter footwear
frequently lacks protective function. Best footwear is blister free,
or joint injury free, and best footwear is different for every one,
because people differ significantly their hiking style and pack
weight.

--
Sincerely
Hiro    ( Yoshihiro Murakami )