[pct-l] Debating about boots...How many?

Paul Robison paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 19:46:31 CST 2011

i have to wear logging boots for my job,  big ten inch boots,
... and i hurt my ankle once, and the doctor told me it was because i wore boots
all day that when i went for a hike in runners, the muscles were not developed
enough to hold me up, basically.

... in the end he said wear running shoes for the next 5 to 6 months, and gave
me a doctors note to do so.  my ankles now are much stronger and i feel
wonderfully confident hiking in shoes.

whatever you plan to wear,  boots or shoes,  gets lots of miles in them and get
your feet adjusted to that style, otherwise you can have injuries, as i did.

whatever you do, i would caution you against suddenly switching from full boots
to shoes ... or else hen you do fall / twist your ankle you muscles won't be as
developed.
... whereas if you start with runners and move to boots you won't have that
problem.

best of luck with your decision... i can lend some advice on work boots, but all
would be far too heavy for PCT purposes.

~Paul