[pct-l] The benefits of wearing pack for a neck injury

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sat Feb 26 12:49:32 CST 2011

In 1992 my girlfriend and were near the end of an intense three months
of gearing up, looking at maps, sewing fleece, organizing food and
dreaming about our 75 day trip from Lassen to Whitney.  A week before
she left her job at a youth crisis shelter a resident opened up his door
into Jane's face and bounced her head around.  Luckily it hit her in the
forehead and not nose.  The trip was in jeopardy, but she troopered on.

When we started at Hat Creek on June 7, 1992, her neck was very stiff
and very sore.  When she turned it it hurt.  Her doctor had given her
permission to attempt the trip but to stop if the pain got too intense.

Over the course of the first stretch - about 10 days - she started at 54
pounds or so - her neck had minor soreness.  AFter three weeks the pain
was gone.  She'd regained 100% mobility.

We had to end the trip because I blew out an ACL - I started with 72
pounds of gear and that just broke my body down - the ligament being the
weak point apparently.

When she got back and visited the doc, he was amazed.  He questioned her
for a half hour about her experience and concluded that wearing her
Jansport D-5 was akin to being in traction - a constant weighted tension
on supportive muscles that effectively accelerated the neck healing.
She never had a neck problem after that.

Jeff...