[pct-l] UL Tents

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 11:44:09 CST 2011

Thanks AsABat, it's still my favorite too.  I've used a number of different
solo tents over the years, and it's good to see that the design was taken
over by someone else.  I used my old Wanderlust Nomad for last years thru
hike.  I had the double window/double awning design, and this was one of the
oldest tarp/tents on the trail.  It still held up beautifully, and as you
can roll up the awnings on rainless buggy nights to see the stars, you have
no condensation at all.  When the awnings were necessary, the two full bug
mesh sides, they're bigger than a simple window, allow for such great flow
through of air that it had only moderate condensation, much better than many
of the other UL tents pitched around me.

I've been careful with it over the years, but it has many miles on it,
Wonderland, West Coast Trail several times and many trips on the JMT, and
yet all across WA, in days and days of rain and drizzle, the bathtub floor
never leaked a drop.  It never has.  Frankly at the age, I thought it would.
 I used a tyvek ground sheet for protection, and was careful to clear the
area of puncture items.  The original manufacturer/designer made these at
his home and seam sealed all the seams with a silicone glue bead which he
then sewed over while the silicone was wet.  Part of the strength of each
seam was thread, and part was actual glue.  I've never had a seam leak or
pull apart and the seam seal is inside the seam, not just painted on top.

I met Weather Carrot on trail in Oregon last summer and he was amazed to see
it still on trail, as he had done the testing of some of the prototypes for
the original designer.   He said that the  double awning/window was a
superior design, and that the original one window had the same problems with
condensation as most tarp tents.  The only drawback might be for very tall
people who could find their head and feet stuck into the pointed ends.  Big
Foot's friend Danimal used Big Foot's old Wanderlust also this summer.
 Although Big Foot really liked the old tent, it was just not big enough for
him, but he is a really big guy.  Danimal, and I fit just fine.

If the new company still uses the seam sealing technique that the original
did, I'd say it was still a contender in great UL tents.  With all the
problems of leaking bathtubs, it's a keeper, and I've camped on the North
Coast in the Redwoods and extensively in BC with it, and never had a
problem.

Shroomer