[pct-l] Avoiding humans, snakes, dogs, push ups and trekking poles on the PCT

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 17:13:54 CST 2011

I love dogs, and always give them a good few goopy, words and the palm of my
hand to sniff, to let them know I'm not a threat, and am probably good for a
scratch.  I never encountered any that were a problem on the PCT at all, but
have run into an aggressive one or two on other trails.  In those cases, I
stand my ground and talk loud and commanding, so they know who's boss, and
was never attacked.  I have no issue using my poles as weapons if need be.

However, anyone who lets an aggressive dog hike off leash is toying with
their own freedom, and the life of their dog as well.  I'm a retired
probation officer who ran our felony investigation unit for years, and saw a
number of people sent to county jail and state prison for just that, and the
dogs were ultimately euthanized.   So, it's not OK, not in the law, and not
in my eyes.  People should know their animal well enough to let it roam if
it's not a threat to others, and leash it if it is aggressive.

As for your posts, I think folks are reacting to your need to essentially
hike, what sounds like, completely dog free.  That isn't going to happen,
not on the PCT, and not on a lot of other trails.  CA state parks do not
allow dogs on trail even if leashed, nor do the national parks, so you can
do those sections with that expectation.  But our regional parks are very
dog friendly, as is a lot of the national forest and BLM land that the PCT
traverses.  You're going to see dogs, and possibly be in their proximity in
camp spots.  Don't do this hike if you need to be dog free as the dog owners
have a perfect legal right to have their animals on trail on most of the
length of it.

As for being attacked and blamed by the owner of the dog, that's just crap,
and you can have them hauled off to jail for their negligence, if you can
find a ranger, or a cop.

Good luck to you, and consider the jurisdictions through which you will be
traveling.

Shroomer, (an unrepentant dog spoiler.  Give me a lick, and I'll love you
forever.  I'm worse than the dogs, with dogs.)