[pct-l] Giardia

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 15:55:05 CST 2011

This story, and all the other talk recently about Giardia has prompted me to
ask this question.

I'm counting on the trail to be a friendly place. I'm in the habit of
sharing my food with fellow hikers, and accept graciously when they return
in kind. This practice now has me uneasy. I think I will plan to politely
decline the offers, but I'm concerned some may take it as unfriendly.

How would you phrase your politely declining their offer of food? I'll
probably still offer to share food, but will want to pour it into their hand
rather then let them reach into my bags. ;)

I'm guessing, "no thanks, I don't want the runs" would be less than polite
:P
Maybe, "thank you, but I want to make sure I stay healthy all the way to
Canada". That sounds better, but maybe a bit, ummm... what's the word? Too
nice?

I know, something I probably don't need to worry about. In fact, I'm
reluctant to click send... If you're reading this, I guess I did :)

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Brian Forestell
<briandid at telusplanet.net>wrote:

> Heh All
>
> I have been backpacking since I was 16, which in my case is almost 40
> years...

[clip]