[pct-l] So. Calif. Desert Water Caches

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 09:30:34 CST 2011

I fully intend to reference Asabat's water report before, and during, my
hike. I'm not questioning whether or not it will be updated. My concern is
it's contents. I had not realized that some of the water locations on
Halfmile's maps were caches.

Diane is right that the guidebooks explain where to get water without the
caches. I'm going to plan as if there aren't any. Again, I grateful for the
effort these kind soul go through to maintain these caches. If I can avoid
using them, then I will be leaving more for other hikers.

The only place in section A I'm worried about is the 32+ mile stretch that
includes scissors crossing. I've been to that spot many many times while
living in San Diego for a decade. I'll plan to drop off a gallon for myself
there. In response to Diane's warnings... I will hide it well and mark the
location with a GPS. I've cached water before. It's my habit to make sure I
put it somewhere nobody else will find. I'll probably leave a few extra
gallons in the "visible" cache. If there are empties there, I'll clean those
up as well. I will be caching a gallon jug, so I won't mind carrying the
empty with me when I come through on foot.

Tonight I'll go through section B and determine if I want to cache any water
myself. I enjoyed scrutinizing Section A. It was like a stroll down memory
lane. I have so many fond memories of this area from my time in San Diego.
I'm looking forward to a similar experience in the other socal sections. :)

If anyone can identify the problematic areas, that might make it easier for
me.