[pct-l] So. Calif. Desert Water Caches

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 15:41:09 CST 2011

Thanks for the clarification Halfmile :)

I am using your warnings. It's helpful to understand your reasoning behind
them. I hope you don't think I was being critical that your water locations
included the cache. Now that I reread my post, I realize it could be taken
that way. I was commenting about it because I had not realized that, or at
least it hadn't "clicked" inside my thru planning jumbled brain. ;)

Your tale about Hauser Creek is disheartening. That was my planned camp for
the first night. I thought it would have water on April 20, but now I know
not to count on it. That's fine, I'll just carry enough to get to Lake
Morena. Maybe I better take another look at section A again. If your note on
the water waypoint doesn't say something about being dry, that it will be
running? such as WR026

I know it's silly to plan out each day exactly, but I'm trying to determine
days between my resupplies. When calculating this, I'm taking into account
the spots I'll have to "push" a bit to make the next water. Ironically, my
most optimistic schedule will coincide with the worst case for water. :P

Thanks again for all your work Halfmile. I really appreciate your
explanation of how to use your maps. :)