[pct-l] So. Calif. Desert Water Caches

Halfmile list at lon.net
Wed Jan 12 14:30:54 CST 2011

Kevin,
My maps show almost all of the locations of  Asabat's water report
entries, except for a few locations that almost never have water.
Since the water report list caches I show the locations of these on the maps.

My maps also have water warnings in yellow text boxes showing area
where you may have 10 miles or more without water. I don't include
caches in this calculation. So for example, on page A9 at Rodriguez
Canyon I have a warning that is 32.7 miles to water at Barrel Spring.
I don't consider the water caches at Scissor's Crossing or 3rd Gate
that might have water in this calculation.

Also, in my water warnings I don't consider water sources that I think
might not be reliable. I have hiked the first 20 miles of the PCT more
than a dozen times. I have only seen water in Hauser Creek in 2010 so
I don't consider it (or the creek at mile 4.4) in my water warning
calculation. I have a water warning at the Juvenile Ranch Facility
(mile 1.3) stating you may not find water for 18.7 miles until the
Lake Morena Campground.

I think the water warnings on my maps are a good place to start if
your looking for "problematic areas". I have tried to be conservative
in my water warnings, so most years you will likely find extra water
in some of the water warning areas (but you could find less depending
on the year or time of year).

As you know, you should always carry the water report and rely on it
for the latest water information in southern California.

-Halfmile
www.pctmap.net