[pct-l] So. Calif. Desert Water Caches

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 22:00:22 CST 2011

Diane it sounds like you have the same idea of what is safe. If I'm
understanding you correctly, you're saying to not count on the caches. Isn't
that what we're all saying?

You're also demonstrating another point. Everyone uses different amounts of
water. Reading the quantities you carried makes me thirsty. I know the
guideline is a gallon a day per person, but personally, I prefer closer to 6
liters. Carrying 3.5 liters heading into a 30 miles dry stretch is
unacceptable to me. I'm envious of how efficient your body is at conserving
water! Now, I've had occasion in The Canyon to hike hike 15 miles on 1 liter
after a dry camp where we didn't cook for lack of water. Sure, I can do it,
but I don't want to, and if I read my maps and plan correctly, I don't have
to! :)

I appreciate your perspective though. You've made it clear that water is out
there reliably. Maybe us thru hikers are getting lazy? When I read the WP
guidebooks, they talk about side trips to water. I always thought that was a
bummer, but it is what it is. It sounds like a lot of hikers don't want to
leave the trail for water perhaps.

I feel a little less anxious about water. There really was no reason to get
anxious I guess. In the frenzy of last minute preparations I think I just
overreacted to the thought that I really hadn't thought too much about water
yet. I'll go back to my plan of looking at the water report the week before
I leave and base my plans on that.

Thanks Melanie for getting this topic going and to everyone else for sharing
their, more experienced, perspectives. I'm not worried about water now :)