[pct-l] Trying to find a pocketmail device.

Halfmile list at lon.net
Fri Jan 14 17:22:07 CST 2011

Does anyone know if the Peek 9's are actually working? I have noticed
some folks online reporting problems with them too.

The prepaid cellular world is starting to have some options to look at:

1) The Nokia E71 from Straight Talk ($187 from walmart.com). The only
option for service on this phone is the $45 per month no contract
unlimited talk, text and data plan. More expensive than a Peek but
almost half the monthly cost of my old iPhone. Straight Talk is
reselling ATT service and it seems to work well for me.

2) If your a bit tech savvy you can look into
www.pagepluscellular.com. They are reselling Verizon Prepaid service
with a $29.95 no contract plan that includes 1200 minutes and 50 MB of
data. You could buy something like a Motorola Q9C or HTC Ozone used
for $50 - $100 and activate it on Page Plus. You would need to have
good understanding of how data is working on your phone if you did
this as it's very possible the phone to use up more than 50 MB of data
and you would per charged extra. You can do a lot with 50 MB however.
Page Plus customer service is not great, especially if you buy your
own phone someplace else.

I tried to go the Page Plus route but the Verizon service everyone
raves about doesn't work well in my office building so I moved over to
the E71 Straight Talk Phone a few weeks ago. I'm happy with it so far.

-Halfmile