[pct-l] Warner Springs to Paradise Cafe in winter

Jon Smith jsa106 at sfu.ca
Thu Jan 27 14:00:02 CST 2011

Dan, I did that stretch Jan 3-4 of this year.  Expect to get your feet and calves wet on the stream crossings on the climb up out of WS.  I had snow above 5000', including about six inches of heavy wet stuff on Combs Peak.  The trail down from Combs is very overgrown, and if the brush is wet or snowy your legs will get very wet, as mine did.  I'd strongly recommend rain pants.  Yaktrax might cut down on sliding around on the snow, if it's still up there; my microspikes were overkill, as the problem wasn't ice but just wet snow.  I wound up hiking with spikes just on the right, downhill, shoe.

On the plus side, you should have no shortage of water.  In addition to streams and snow, at least one cache (hiker's oasis, I think) was still pretty well stocked.

Devil

Sent from my iPad