[pct-l] ice axe length

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Jan 31 10:25:26 CST 2011

Good morning, Ken,

Thanks for your comments, but I’m pretty well up-to-speed on mountaineering
tools, equipment, and methods:  I've read the books, been there, done that,
got the tee-shirt.  I think it’s good to have discussions of hiking methods
and equipment, particularly when there may not be consensus.  I reserve the
right to challenge any/all conventional wisdom, and I accept that others
will challenge my views on their way to making informed and well-reasoned
decisions for themselves

Long-distance hiking is replete with examples where conventional wisdom
turned out to be baloney:  Pack frames were said to be necessary to carry
tremendous loads, so I don’t carry tremendous loads.  It was accepted that
serious hikers need sturdy waffle-stomper boots, but now almost everyone
wears sneakers.  We discuss what stove and tent is best, but I don’t see the
need for either.  Every year there’s a long thread about socks, and I’ve
tried everything from two pairs of heavies, to wearing no socks at all
through 300 miles of Washington, and everything seems to work – more or
less.  If we had been hiking several generations ago most would agree that
it would be crazy to go into the wilderness without a gun; and the
discussion would then be do I have to carry a 9-pound rifle or can I get by
with just a large-bore handgun.  Sometime, someone had to the first to stand
up and say, “Baloney, I don’t need any gun”.

When I discuss a topic on PCT-L I try to favor readers with some kind of an
explanation for my beliefs.  If I don’t have a good reason – maybe just
because of personal preference – I’ll state that as well.  One aggravation I
have is when I can’t see the logic behind other peoples’ methods and
recommendations.  For example, in Jardine’s landmark book he recommends a
thru-hiker should carry an ice axe the entire three-state distance, but he
offers no explanation as to why.  Help me out here, Ray, why would I
possibly want to do that?  It makes no sense to me unless he really wants a
weapon rather than an ice axe.

Relative to the current issue of ice axe usage I’ll refer to some of my
previous discussions at:
http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/2010-November/042486.html and
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264671 but I’m only talking for
myself -- I’m not marketing or promoting anything.

PCT hiking is not alpine mountaineering; it is mostly just trail walking –
occasionally over snowpack.  The grades are only moderate.  Unless one is at
the very leading edge of the pack there are abundant tracks in the snowpack
to follow and step in.  Most hikers don’t carry an ice axe and they get
along just fine.  More valuable in my opinion are traction aids like
MicroSpikes or instep crampons.

Enjoy your planning,

 Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye