[pct-l] Erik the Black's Maps: They're Excellent!!!

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Mon Jan 31 18:24:54 CST 2011

from Jackass:
> ...  I had issues with: cost, accuracy and quality of the maps
> when shrunk to fit the size of the book. I also found Eric to be rude when I
> met him at the K.O. and his ticking clock sales tactics/ using early order
> money to finance the printing of the books(which arrived weeks later than
> promised) shady.

I also bought the set in '09, but I was not "charged" until they shipped - so he
wasn't using "early order money to finance printing" IMHO...  If nothing else,
an early-order system would allow him to guesstimate the printing run quantity...
He did have somewhat of a problem with the printing outfit doing the relatively
small runs & (not) delivering on their initial 'promise' dates - but like many
businesses, they opted to fill much larger orders first by pushing his out...  We,
the PCT thru 'audience', afterall, are a miniscule group - each "one in a million".

As for accuracy, Erik's maps are more than sufficient - if you want to count every
switchback going up to Forester Pass, then, yes, they are 'lacking' (but that is
due mostly due to the map 'scale' - same as a state highway map can't show every
bend in a road or highway)...
One won't get lost (or should I say one "shouldn't" get lost) using Erik's maps...

For me, Erik's PCT Atlas set is the 'perfect' compromise - very compact, lightweight,
and with sufficient data points & info that I wouldn't 'need' to carry any other
'guide' material whatsoever - but, of course, I've already done my 'homework' ahead
of time, too (read WP guides, downloaded Halfmile's maps, made a Google Earth trace
with Halfmile's data before he did(!), just bought Ancient Brit's guide, studied
Postholer's Data Book, etc., etc.)...

To each his own, the usual YMMV, HYOH, yada yada...

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)