[pct-l] Erik the Black's Maps: They're Excellent!!!

Jason Moores jmmoores1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 23:15:30 CST 2011

PITA,

I was rushed when I made my earlier post, on my way out the door for an
afternoon walk. After I had hit send I realized that I had made a bold
statement without backing it up with some proof/evidence. When I read your
reply it gave me pause. Had I remembered my experience incorrectly? I
decided to do a little research, prepared to retract my statement if I found
that I was in error. Here's what I found:

Unlike your experience, I was billed on Jan. 16th for my purchase, three
months before receiving my first book. The web-site claimed that it was a
finished product, at the printer. When I placed my order, Eric's site stated
a delivery date of mid March for the first two books and no later than June
15th for the third. I then read on-line that there might be a delay on my
delivery. I was leaving my home on April 8th so I sent an e-mail requesting
more info. Then on Feb. 17th I received this e-mail(in part):

Hi Jason,
I’m about 99% certain that books 1 and 2 will be to you before April 8th.
Right now I am aiming for sometime between March 15 – April 1. I should have
a more concrete date in about two weeks. I am aiming for between June 1 –
June 15 for Volumes 3, 4 and 5, so they will definitely be ready long before
you get to Tahoe, if you are thru-hiking northbound.

Eric was unable to meet this deadline and I was forced to print a pdf. file,
from Campo to Idyllwild, on my own dime and time without refund or much of
an apology.

As to my claim that Eric was using "early sales" to finance the printing of
the books: While I have no concrete proof of this action, and maybe should
have used restraint when making this comment, I personally felt that this is
what occurred. Below is two parts of an e-mail that I received while on the
trail. Take note of the date and Eric's own words regarding the fact that
the books were incomplete and not at the printer: