[pct-l] Trail conditions northern CA

jomike at cot.net jomike at cot.net
Sat Jul 2 17:22:49 CDT 2011

Just received a phone call from Beacon who was asking about the trail north of me here in the Weed/Mt. Shasta area. He said they were skipping the Marbles for later but were leaving from Castella and heading south. He was advised that is basically clear. He also has a GPS for route finding. You might want to try that before giving up on the PCT, even this year. For what its worth, with this continuing high heat (Redding's in the 100's and we're in the mid-to high 90's at 3000') the snow should be melting very fast now. Speaking for northern CA I would advise anyone to stay put for two to three days and your chances of getting through will greatly increase, particularly heading south; for for some folks it is already "open".

are we there yet

...going to the mountains is going home.

John Muir