[pct-l] Reaction to Hikers

Meridith Rosendahl meridith.rosendahl at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 12:15:56 CDT 2011

We sometimes talk on this list about how hikers treat angels, being slobs or
worse.  Not so much about how hikers are treated by the people they
encounter in towns.

I picked up a hiker the other day who had a bad experience in town.  Seems
the person thought he was homeless and gave him a bad time, but not enough
to dampen his enthusiasm for the hike.  I'd be willing to bet that the rude
person he encountered was NOT from our town.  Most locals know about hikers
and try to help, ignore their pre-showered condition, encourage them to
patronize their restaurants, give them rides and listen to their stories.
Tourists or "summer people" are uneducated in these matters and should be
ignored if not forgiven for their ignorance.  Or better yet, educated by
those of us who know and love hikers and the hiker community.

Piper's Mom