[pct-l] Heading north

jomike at cot.net jomike at cot.net
Sat Jul 9 17:47:41 CDT 2011

Saw Tweener in Weed and recognized him as a thru hiker. I myself was returning from a day hike. I drove him to the Mt. Shasta Ranger Station. He bought three local maps and the northern CA edition of the guide book (long live the guide books). The gals at the RS were not totally pessimistic but did advise him it could get very dicey in places, plus water crossing at exceeding high and swift. He was hoping to go north from Castle Crags. I dropped him at the motel of his choice to wait till Monday to receive a couple of packages.

All-in-all, the RS staff stated what I told him that it is real border line in-so-far-as snow; so much has melted with our hot weather. I think he's going for it. He'd already been to Dunsmuir once when he hiked south very successfully.

are we there yet

...going to the mountains is going home.

John Muir