[pct-l] Estimated snow levels mid July: I-80 to Burney Falls

Jan long2hike at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 6 23:33:29 CDT 2011

Can the future be estimated?  I would like to hike I-80 to Burney Falls starting mid July.  Given the current snow levels I am thinking this is unrealistic.  Would the beginning of August be doable?  Since I am recovering from a broken ankle Jan 1, 2011, I am not interested in post-holing or slogging through the snow.  I called the national forest at Lake Tahoe.  They said the snow was five feet deep at 1000-2000 feet elevation, and that they were about a month behind schedule.  So, what are your opinions?  When will the trail there be relatively snow free?  I thought about reversing the hike, but I don’t think I would gain anything.  Waiting until August to decide is not an option as I need to plan and make travel arrangements.  And, I would rather not hike in September as it is colder and the days are shorter.

Thanks,
Jan