[pct-l] footwear, blisters

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Mar 1 09:25:58 CST 2011

I had rarely had problems with blisters before doing my first PCT
hike. I did relatively frequent backpacking normally and a lot of day
hiking. I trained with my pack on daily before I left. But when I hit
the PCT I started getting really bad blisters just beyond Mt. Laguna
and they didn't go away until after Kennedy Meadows. Some of these
blisters were in the usual places I've had them in the past but
others were in completely new places I'd never had blisters before.

The blisters hurt so bad I had Trailhacker send Chaco sandals to
Idyllwild so I could try those. They gave me blisters, too!

I went to the outlet mall in Cabazon and with my painfully blistered
feet I tried on shoes until I found some that didn't hurt my
blisters. I ended up with mens size 10 (probably mislabeled and
really a size 9). I measure a women's size 7. I wore those shoes for
600 miles. They never felt floppy or insecure.

I also wore a flip-flop one day because I picked the blister skin a
little too much and couldn't even put my shoe on. One flip-flop on
one foot, tied on with a shoelace, for 15 miles. No problems hiking
in flip-flops in my opinion. Could even be a viable option for
someone really struggling. Just use your shoelaces to make a heel
strap so you can go uphill easily.

Something about the Sierras healed the blisters. The clean water and
the pruny skin from perpetually wet feet is what I think, plus the
sand and gravel that worked its way into my wool socks never to be
washed out again. It really toughened up the skin. After the Sierras
I didn't need anymore foot powder, bandaids, toe-bandages, toe-
separators or double-layered socks. I could just wear a thin wool
sock and get no blisters at all. The skin on my feet felt like it was
a half an inch thick.

Since then I've tried all sorts of shoes for hiking. I bought some
shoes that felt great. I ran in them and hiked with them with no
trouble, and then I took them for a long weekend on the PCT and got
blisters. Arrgh!

It's so hard to tell if your shoes will work or not. I've always had
this issue, whether it's with hiking boots, Merrells, running shoes,
Chacos. I've learned to not be too terribly attached to my shoes. If
they hurt, that's it. They're consigned to wearing to the cubicle
farm and won't be backpacked in again.