[pct-l] Lugging Water

gwschenk at socal.rr.com gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Tue May 3 09:41:14 CDT 2011

---- Charles Doersch <charles.doersch at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We're a family of four guys through-hiking next year. We have heaps of experience in all sorts of adventure travel -- but the PCT will be new.
>
> Question? What's the common wisdom on how best to lug water between reliable water sources in Southern California?
>
> I know about "cameling up" -- and we've done that (golly, in the Sahara actually -- traveling with Tuareg camel caravans through bandit territory)-- but I see stretches of, oh, 68 miles at one point between sources (just picking one of the distances at random) -- so carrying enough water for four men for that many miles will involve some heft. (And I'm not bringing the camel, trust me.)
>
> Any observations on what's worked well for you?

Strong legs.

Hiking section A I had a 10 liter carrying capacity. I carried all 10 liters into the San Felipes and that took me all the way to Warner Springs. In spring, there will be enough natural water. Some won't look too appealing, some will be located off the trail. It won't always be convenient. But it can be done. Then there are the well-meaning folks who cache water along the trail.

We used the +/- 4 liter Nalgene canteen and gatoraid bottles to carry water. The Nalgene canteens are collapsible and tough enough.

Gary